Prep 2 mins
Cook 3 mins
Use as a marinade. Skewer pieces of chicken or fish and place in a glass bowl. Brush with sauce and set aside at least 3 to 4 hours, turning occasionally. Broil or barbecue the chicken or fish, basting frequently with sauce. Warm any remaining sauce and serve with cooked chicken or fish.
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 3 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 cup Japanese sake or 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 lbs chicken (to serve) or 2 lbs fish, pieces (to serve)
- Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and warm gently over medium heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved.
- Strain through fine cheesecloth, if desired. It is excellent as is- The small flakes of onion, garlic and ginger give it body.
Really nice marinade and I thought the sesame oil was a great touch that I hadn't tried before in a Teriyaki sauce. I used to cook a carpetbag steak.