Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is a very quick and easy recipe that will impress everyone. The shrimp is rather spicy but the cilantro and tangyness of the rice mixture nicely balances the spicy seasonings. This recipe came from the July 2002 Cooking Light magazine.
- 1 (14 ounce) bagboil-in-bag long-grain rice (if no time constraints) or 2 cups jasmine rice (if no time constraints)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons instant minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup tequila
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- While rice cooks, combine 1/4 tsp salt, the red pepper, chili powder, cumin and black pepper in a large zip-top plastic bag.
- Add shrimp to bag.
- Seal and shake to coat.
- Heat 1 tbl oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add shrimp to skillet, cook for 3 minutes, turning once.
- Add garlic, saute for 1 minute.
- Add tequila and 1 tbl cilantro.
- Cook for a further minute.
- Combine 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tbl oil and lime juice then pour over the cooked rice Serve shrimp over rice mixture.
This is a very nice dish, and we enjoyed it a lot. The dish looked beautiful. I didn't change anything. I wonder if the next time I make this, can I add the lime juice to the shrimp rather than the rice? It made the rice a little tart for me. I think it would add a fresh, zippy taste to the shrimp. When I make this again, and I will, I will try it and share the results with you. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
I got high reviews when I cooked this recipe for my boyfriend. I did add more spice to it, and did add the lemon juice straight to the shrimp, not the rice. I made garlic flavored rice with this, and it went perfect. Thanks for the recipe- will definetely make this again!
Since I had left-over rice from the other night, this receipe came together in about five minutes. The flavor was awesome, not at ALL spicy but flavorful. The downside was that it was so good, there was nothing left over for lunch.