Prep 27 hrs
Cook 3 hrs
Unusual method for turning an economical low-fat roast into a delicious, tender, juicy, pink inside delight! Follow the instructions to the letter for best results. The roast must be salted, wrapped and refrigerated for 24 hours before cooking. Cooking time is 3 hours total. The best thermometer to use is a probe thermometer with a cable to attach it to a digital controller outside of the oven.
- First day: Spread salt evenly over all sides of beef roast. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 18 to 24 hours.
- Second day: Preheat oven to 225 degrees F. Prepare shallow roasting pan with rack.
- Unwrap roast, pat dry with paper towels. Rub vegetable oil over surface. Coat with 2 teaspoons ground pepper. Brown roast in a medium-hot skillet on all sides until dark brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- Place on roasting rack. Place thermometer probe in the center of roast, insert from end.
- Roast uncovered for about 1 hr 15 min to internal temperature of 115 degrees F. DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR. Turn oven off and leave roast in place for 30 to 50 minutes, until meat reaches 125 degrees internal temperature.
- Remove from oven, place on board. Cover with foil, and allow to rest for 15 minutes before slicing. The roast will be pink and juicy in the center.
I followed the recipe exactly and it was delicious! Pink and tender, a great recipe for this cut.
This was the best eye round roast I've ever made! I added a tablespoon of garlic powder to the salt applied at the beginning of the process. Raised the cooking temperature to 275* and final internal temperature of meat to 130* (medium rare)...followed recipe after that.<br/>I can't say it again "THIS IS THE BEST ROAST BEEF" you'll ever eat.
I used this on a South American recipe what is loosely translated as "The Hunger Killer" that calls for flank steak and used the eye of round roast instead. Basically You take the round roast and spiral cut it in a spiral butterfly laying it out as a long piece of meat about 3/8" inch thick by 2 feet long. Then season it with salt, pepper, dried basil and oregano for 24 hours. Cut up Ham or smoked sausage, and provolone cheese into long chunks. Sauté some onions bell peppers and carrots(enough to loosely cover one side of the butterflied round roast. Roll up the ingredients inside of the roast and tie it. Sear the outside in a hot heavy bottomed pan. Roll this in aluminum foil starting at the lower right hand corner of the foil and ending at the upper left corner. This is how your butcher would roll up meat for you in butchers paper at the store. Except with the foil you will want to roll up the ends to seal it. Cut a couple of small holes in the top to allow steam to escape. Then cook as this recipe directs except you already have the meat rolled up in the foil. slice thinly. Mine came out great!