Recipe by Sharon123
A tempting tempeh vegetarian tuna salad! The powdered kelp helps give this salad a taste of the sea. Adapted from From the Heart of the Harvest Cafe cookbook and also Vegan Vittles, Second Helpings cookbook. Great in sandwiches, rolled up in tortillas or lettuce leaves with sprouts and vegetables, on crackers, etc. A little information on tempeh from Wickpedia: Tempeh, or Tempe in Javanese, is made by a natural culturing and controlled fermentation process that binds soybeans into a cake form. It is especially popular on the island of Java, where it is a staple source of protein. Like tofu, tempeh is made from soybeans, but tempeh is a whole soybean product with different nutritional characteristics and textural qualities. Tempeh's fermentation process and its retention of the whole bean give it a higher content of protein, dietary fiber and vitamins compared to tofu, as well as firmer texture and stronger flavor. Tofu, however, is thought to be more versatile in dishes. Because of its nutritional value, tempeh is used worldwide in vegetarian cuisine; some consider it to be a meat analogue. Even long before people found and realized its rich nutritional value, tempeh was referred to as “Javanese meat.”
Top Review by magpie diner
10 Stars! Wow, I love this this! I went the dill route as well, I'm sure it would be great with curry too. I'm so glad I finally tried this, it's very satisfying - non vegans would enjoy too. Thanks for sharing Sharon, enjoyed this with toasted sprouted grain bread. MMM!
- 8 ounces tempeh, cut in 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup celery, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, finely grated
- 1⁄4 cup red onions, finely chopped or 1⁄4 cup green onion
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon kelp
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (to taste) (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper (optional)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup vegan mayonnaise or 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup regular mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill weed (to make it more like a chicken salad) or 1⁄2 teaspoon curry (to make it more like a chicken salad) or 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning (to make it more like a chicken salad)
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam tempeh 20 minutes. Place in bowl and add cold water. Mash thoroughly using a fork.
- Stir in carrots, onioins, parsley, kelp, mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard and dill.
- Place in container, cover and chill in refrigerator befroe serving. Enjoy!
- Will keep up to 3 days.