Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
You can also prepare these in a skillet. This recipe is from "Cooking Light Magazine". The tempeh needs to be marinated for at least 30 minutes (longer is better).
- 1 (8 ounce) packagefive-grain tempeh
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups vertically sliced onions (1/2-inch slices)
- 1 1⁄2 cups slice green bell peppers (1/2-inch-thick slices)
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 (8 inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 1⁄4 cup salsa
- Cut tempeh in half crosswise; cut each half lengthwise into 6 strips. Place tempeh in a shallow dish. Combine pineapple juice, soy sauce, lime juice, cumin, oil, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and garlic in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Pour pineapple juice mixture over tempeh. Marinate at room temperature 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Prepare grill.
- Lightly coat onion and bell pepper with cooking spray; sprinkle with salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Arrange onion mixture in a wire grilling basket coated with cooking spray. Place grilling basket on grill rack; grill 5 minutes or until lightly browned, turning occasionally. Remove the tempeh from marinade, reserving marinade. Place tempeh on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned, basting occasionally with reserved marinade.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions. Arrange 3 tempeh pieces, 1/2 cup onion mixture, and 1 tablespoon salsa down center of each tortilla; roll up.
Awesome recipe! The flavors were amazing. Finally a way to make tempeh more interesting :)
I didn't have pineapple juice handy so just used fresh pineapple chunks and added some hotsauce (I like it spicy). Its great over a salad as well instead of tortillas.
This recipe is PERFECT! Wow, what great flavor from the pineapple, soy sauce & lime. Does take awhile to make because of letting it sit up to 2 hours to marinate, but overall was very easy to prepare. The 5-grain tempeh that I used was nice and hearty and absorbed the flavors nicely. Thanks for an awesome recipe!
My BH and I love this recipe - and he was once a self-proclaimed vegan-food hater! We both like a little spice in anything that can use it - and so for this recipe we add about 3/4 - 1 TBSP of chili powder. I've also used 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange when I don't have pineapple juice handy and it's turned out great each time. Thanks blucoat!