Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
Time does not include chilling.
Make and share this Tembleque (Puerto Rican Pudding) recipe from Food.com.
- Place 3 1/2 cups milk in a saucepan and heat to medium.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until small bubbles appear on the sides.
- Combine in a bowl with the 2 cups coconut and stir to blend.
- Cover and let sit for 20 minutes. Place in a blender (use batches if necessary) and whiz for 10-20 seconds.
- Strain, pressing to extract as much liquid as possible.
- Measure the liquid and add enough milk to make a total of 3 1/2 cups.
- Whisk the cornstarch with 1/2 cup milk. Place the coconut milk in a heavy bottom saucepan over medium-low heat and gradually whisk in the cornstarch mixture.
- Stir in the salt and sugar. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring, for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cinnamon or orange blossom water and turn off heat.
- Rinse 8 custard cups, but don't dry them. Pour the mixture into the custard cups. Cool, then chill. This can be done up to two days in advance.
- Just before serving, toast the 2 tbsp coconut in a small, dry skillet over medium heat, shaking and stirring until it browns. Sprinkle over the tops of the tembleque and serve.