Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Since one of my family lines of genealogy is Welsh, I wanted to include a few Welsh recipes in my postings for the ZWT #6--2010. Salmon is the king of fish and these potato and fish cakes, flavoured with parsley and chives are considered a luxury starter or main course in Wales. The original version of this recipe was found on Traditional Welsh Recipes.
- 226.79 g salmon (poached & flaked)
- 14.79 ml chives (chopped)
- 453.59 g potato (peeled)
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 44.37 ml butter
- 14.79 ml lemon zest
- 14.79 ml parsley (chopped)
- 14.79-29.58 ml oil
- Boil the potatoes until tender.
- Mash well with 1 Tablespoon of the butter and mix in the salmon, parsley, chives and lemon zest.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Turn out onto a floured surface, divide into 8 portions and shape into cakes.
- Fry in 2 Tablespoons butter mixed with oil until golden brown on each side. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve as a starter on a bed of lettuce with soured cream and chive dressing or as a main course garnished with parsley and lemon wedges.
This was very good! DH loved it. I used canned pink salmon, removing the skin and bigger bones. Also substituted the green part of a green onion instead of chives. The next time I make this, I plan on frying up half of it on one night, and then frying up the second half separately the next. It's too much for two people on one night, most definitely. It was a very easy way to get fish into another eater who doesn't really care for fish. Thanks!