Recipe by Sheri in Georgia
This has become a family favorite - I found this recipe on a bag of tater tots several years ago. This is very similiar to a Chicken Pot Pie with a Tater Tot topping instead of bread. It makes a great one dish meal with a salad and bread.
Top Review by TampaChefSteph
The recipe was super! I used only one can of cream of chicken and 1/2 cup of milk instead of 1/4 cup. I also put the filling mixture in a store bought frozen pie crust and baked it as the tater tot recipe called for, which made it that much more wonderful!
- 907.18 g bag frozen tater tots
- 118.29 ml chopped onion
- 2 small garlic cloves, pressed
- 14.79 ml butter or 14.79 ml olive oil
- 473.18 ml diced cooked chicken
- 59.14 ml milk
- 283.49 g package frozen mixed vegetables
- 304.75 g can cream of chicken soup
- dried thyme
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In large skillet, cook onion and pressed garlic in butter or olive oil over medium high heat until onion is tender.
- Add cooked chicken, frozen veggies, undiluted soup, milk, thyme and pepper.
- Stir ingredients together and cook over medium heat until hot and bubbly. Stirring occasionally.
- Cover and cook an additional 5 minutes; stirring frequently.
- Spoon chicken mixture into ungreased 2-quart casserole dish.
- Arrange frozen tater tots on top.
- Bake 40 minutes or until bubbly and tater tots are slightly browned.
- Note: This recipe easily doubles and you can make two. I freeze the extra one with the tater tots on top and then remove and thaw in fridge. Bake as directed above. Also, I sometimes add an extra can of soup and an extra 1/4 cup of milk for a thinner consistency. This would be a personal preference. Also, I add approximately 1/2 tsp of dried thyme and 1/2 tsp of black pepper for one casserole - adaptable to your taste.