Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a hearty dish, that tastes great with a nice piece of crusty bread. You can definitely vary the kinds and amounts of veggies in it.
- 1 cup red lentil
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup kale
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon granules (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos or 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning mix
- Chop all vegetables. Take leaves off of kale and shred into smaller pieces.
- Put everything into a saucepan. Cover and cook at medium heat for 30 minutes.
- If you like crunchy celery, don't put it in till ten minutes before the end of cooking time. Otherwise, toss it in at the beginning.
- You can put the kale in right away, but I prefer to blanch mine first (1 minute in boiling water) to remove any bitterness. I don't add the kale till about ten minutes before the end.
Lentils are a recent addition to our menus - found we enjoy lentil dishes and soups when eating a wonderful soup away from home a few years back.Now have jars and jars of assorted lentils in my kitchen. I followed your instructions blanching the kale assuring it remained crunchy - I like a bit of crunch too. Added the optional vegetable bouillion. Next time may add homemade chicken stock in place of the water. Yes there will be a next time on this one - thank you Barb.
This tasted good, but with the directions, it turned out like mashed potatoes. I didn't use the kale, but followed everything else (except using chicken broth). I turned down the heat to simmer and it still came out like mashed potatoes, not like the picture. I think it may need more broth/water and less cooking time.
I have made this dozens on times now, it is a favorite for sure. Sometimes I add a little diced potato, and I always used canned diced tomatoes instead of the sauce, but that is all I do different. The Italian Seasoning I use is my own, with a little fennel seed. This dish is simple, healthy and a wonderful comfort food. Thank you so much for sharing it.