Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Even a small serving feels like a special treat. It won't last long on your appetizer table.
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup
- 2 (6 ounce) cans shrimp, coarsely chopped
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Pour water in a small bowl; sprinkle gelatine over top and set aside.
- In medium saucepan, bring soup to a boil. Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat, add mayonnaise and blend. Add the onion salt and gelatine.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Pour in a greased mould.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Gently unmould on a platter.
- Serve with assorted crackers or sliced baguette.
- The spread is so much more elegant when prepared in a fish shaped pan.
- Unmould on a bed of parsley, add olives for the eyes and pimento for the mouth.
- Voilà, a feast for the eyes.
- Cooking time means refrigeration time.
This recipe is a throw-back from so very long ago! I love this, and so glad I was able to find once again. I made this last evening for our impromptu dinner party - and it took about 6 hours to chill. I used small shrimp and added about 1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning. This was so wonderful, and had hoped that I could of had some left for today. I don't, all gone within minutes!