Prep 5 mins
Cook 9 mins
This is another recipe from Diabetic Cooking magazine. A great low fat, low carb version of an old family favorite. 1 serving = 1/2 starch
- 1 (8 ounce) package sugar-free yellow cake mix
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 teaspoons strawberry all-fruit spread (or your favorite all-fruit spread)
- 2 tablespoons pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray cookie sheets with non-stick cooking spray.
- Beat cake mix, orange juice, orange peel and vanilla with mixer for 2 minutes.
- Increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more or until dough is smooth (dough should be very sticky still).
- With oiled hands, roll dough into 1 inch balls and place 2 1/2 inches apart on cookie sheets.
- Press the center of each ball with thumb and fill with 1/4 tsp of strawberry fruit spread.
- Sprinkle cookies with the chopped pecans.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes or until cookies are lightly golden brown and lose their shininess.
- Be sure that you don't overbake these cookies or they will be dry.
- Remove from oven and place on wire racks to cool completely.
I know this is a low fat, low carb recipe. But I couldn`t find sugar free box cake mix. So I used regular cake mix. Being it was an 18.25 ounce size I doubled the rest of the ingredients. I used apricot all-fruit spread.
I followed everything in the recipe but it was so dry I don't see how it could have formed balls. I think it needs some fat, or extra juice or something. I added an egg, it was very sticky and I had to drop by the spoonful. The first pan I overbaked and the cookies were very dry. The second pan I only baked it for 5 or 6 minutes instead of the 8 required, they we beautiful. Not dry at all. This recipe needs tinkering with but other wise it is very tasty. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for the low carb recipe,it sounds good.I will try these cookies soon.