Italian Potato Casserole
Mmm-- Tender potatoes with herbs and pepper. Adapted from Company's Coming, diabetic cooking. 3/4 cup serving = 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 milk
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup skim evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons hot mustard, your favourite
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sweet basil leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 medium unpeeled new potatoes, thinly sliced, about 4 cups
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil in medium nonstick fry pan until onion is soft.
- Combine evaporated milk and flour in small bowl, whisk until smooth.
- Slowly add to onion, stirring constantly, until boiling and thickened.
- Stir in mustard, salt, basil, sugar and oregano.
- Arrange 1/2 of the potatoes in a greased 2 quart casserole.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
- Layer with 1/2 of the tomato slices.
- Cover with 1/2 of the onion sauce.
- Repeat layers.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, cover and bake in 375°F degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake for 20 to 30 minutes more until golden brown and potatoes are soft.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This was tasty & healthy. I give a firm 4 based on taste, healthiness & ease of preperation. May main advice is to change direction no. 3 from 'stirring constantly until boiling..' to 'stirring constantly until it is a thick blob that you will have to separate by spatula or hand when it's time to layer', because there was definitely no boiling. Just it turning thick rather quickly, even on lower heat. I've made this twice now & the same thing occured both times. It probably would have been fine if I was expecting that to happen. So maybe a slight change in the directions would help?? Just my suggestion. But I would still recommend the dish as my whole family plus house-guest liked it and the adults got 2nds & 3rds. I made along side recipe # 129345 which is Chicken Scaloppine w/ Lemon Glaze (low fat & delicious!) , steamed zucchini, yellow squash and broccoli. I like this recipe because it's different & would compliment a lot of different main dishes. I was very pleased with the overall meal. Thanks for sharing, blessings in The Lord Jesus to you.