10 hrs 25 mins
Fit Cook's Note:
I created this bean soup using part of another recipe but I added a few spices in varying amounts with smoked turkey wings for an awesome flavor enhancer. It is a bit spicy but it is really high in fiber and protein, while being low in fat and sodium. I prepared this recipe in a crockpot but it could be cooked on the stovetop as well. Cook times may vary but I let mine cook for a total of 10 hours, which is why I recommend the crockpot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) package 15 bean soup mix (discard the flavor packet)
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 smoked turkey legs
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped (I used yellow)
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon clove
- 15 peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1Soak beans overnight in about 3 quarts of water. Drain and either set aside or if you are using a crockpot put on the lowest setting and add chicken stock with the beans.
- 2Heat olive oil in a large pan. Score smoked turkey legs or thighs and place in hot pan. Allow the turkey to heat and release flavor into the oil while prepping the other ingredients.
- 3Remove turkey from the pan and place into crockpot or set aside.
- 4Put onions, garlic, carrots, and celery in pan and cook until just tender.
- 5Add all spices and allow to cook for 3-5 minutes to allow dry spices to open up.
- 6Add vegetable mixture into crockpot or put the turkey, beans, and stock into the large pan. If you are using a pan bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and allow to cook for as long you can stand! (The smell is so good you will not be able to resist tasting) I recommend at least 4-6 hours.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tasty Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 159.6
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 4.8 mg
- Sodium 260.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
15 bean soup mix
smoked turkey legs