Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 hrs
I created this bean soup using part of another recipe but I added a few spices in varying amounts with smoked turkey wings for an awesome flavor enhancer. It is a bit spicy but it is really high in fiber and protein, while being low in fat and sodium. I prepared this recipe in a crockpot but it could be cooked on the stovetop as well. Cook times may vary but I let mine cook for a total of 10 hours, which is why I recommend the crockpot.
- 1 (16 ounce) package 15 bean soup mix (discard the flavor packet)
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 smoked turkey legs
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped (I used yellow)
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 15 peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (or more to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- Soak beans overnight in about 3 quarts of water. Drain and either set aside or if you are using a crockpot put on the lowest setting and add chicken stock with the beans.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan. Score smoked turkey legs or thighs and place in hot pan. Allow the turkey to heat and release flavor into the oil while prepping the other ingredients.
- Remove turkey from the pan and place into crockpot or set aside.
- Put onions, garlic, carrots, and celery in pan and cook until just tender.
- Add all spices and allow to cook for 3-5 minutes to allow dry spices to open up.
- Add vegetable mixture into crockpot or put the turkey, beans, and stock into the large pan. If you are using a pan bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and allow to cook for as long you can stand! (The smell is so good you will not be able to resist tasting) I recommend at least 4-6 hours.
I didn't use the smoked turkey legs, instead using some andouille sausage. This was spicy and delicious. The cloves add an interesting, but delicious flavor!