Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
I learned this recipe from my mother-in-law in Tunisia. Serve it on four separate plates or on one large platter. Serve with sliced French bread.
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup mild chili pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 4 eggs
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Mash the garlic, caraway seeds, and pinch of salt in a mortar and pestle or against the side of a mixing bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the chile peppers; cook and stir until the peppers have softened, about 5 minutes. Remove them from the skillet and set aside. Add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet and cook the bell peppers and tomatoes until the peppers are soft and the tomatoes have begun to break down, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato-bell pepper mixture to the hot peppers. Stir in the mashed garlic and caraway seeds. Spoon the vegetables onto plates or a serving platter.
- Heat the remaining oil in the skillet. Fry the eggs until the whites are set and the yolks are the desired consistency, about 2 to 3 minutes for runny yolks, 4 to 5 minutes for fully set yolks. Place the fried eggs on the vegetable mixture and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Tastira can be hot or mild, depending upon the type of chile peppers used.