Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Williams-Sonoma Bride and Groom Cookbook. For a 9-inch tart pan, but it was enough for my 10-inch tart pan. Can be made a day or two in advance of filling. Tools needed: 9-inch or 10-inch tart pan, fork, chef's knife, box grater, wire rack. Prep time includes resting and freezing time.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated lemon zest (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract (essence)
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, salt, and lemon zest, if using. Work the butter into the flour mixture with your fingertips, pressing and blending, until the butter looks granular and the mixture begins to hold together. Combine 1 Tbsp water and the vanilla and work it into the flour-and-butter mixture with a fork until the ingredients are well combined and the pastry will hold together when pressed. Gather it into a ball and wrap it in plastic.
- Let the dough rest for 30 minutes to allow the flour to absorb the moisture. Then use your fingertips to press the pastry into the bottom and sides of your tart pan, making sure it is distributed evenly. Cover and place the tart shell in the freezer for 30 minutes to firm.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Remove the tart shell from the freezer and bake until light golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Let cool to room temperature on a wire rack before filling.