1 hr 30 mins
A succulent chicken roast, full of herby flavour - the mustard adds a great new taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 sprigs tarragon, leaves chopped and stalks reserved
- 2 onions, cut into large chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into large chunks
- 3 sticks celery, roughly chopped
- 1 head fennel, roughly chopped
- 7 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 bulb of garlic, roughly chopped (skin and all)
- 2 (3 lb) chicken
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, plus 1 extra tsp
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F
- 2Put the tarragon stalks, vegetables, olive oil and garlic in a heavy roasting tin.
- 3Place on a high heat and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to brown.
- 4While the vegetables are cooking, remove any string from the chickens, sprinkle the cavities with salt and pepper and stuff the lemon quarters inside.
- 5Lay the chickens, breast-side down, on top of the veg. Season with salt and pepper, scatter over half the chopped tarragon leaves, then drizzle with a little olive oil.
- 6Roast for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, mix 1 tbsp mustard with the remaining chopped tarragon leaves.
- 7Remove the roasting tin from the oven, turn the chickens over and spread with the mustard mixture.
- 8Return the chickens to the oven and roast for a further 40 minutes or until the juices run clear when a thigh is pierced with a skewer.
- 9Remove the chickens to a dish or 2 large plates and cover each one with an upturned bowl.
- 10Skim any excess fat from the roasting tin. Place the tin on a high heat, pour in the wine, and boil for 8-10 minutes until the wine has almost completely reduced.
- 11Now pour in the stock and bring to the boil, then simmer for 5-7 minutes until reduced by half. Stir in 1 tsp mustard, season to taste and strain into a gravy boat.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tarragon & Mustard Roast Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (741 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 862.7
- Calories from Fat 527
- Total Fat 58.6 g
- Saturated Fat 14.3 g
- Cholesterol 209.4 mg
- Sodium 391.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 55.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: