Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Every Day with Rachael Ray September 2007
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery & leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken tenders, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 sprigs fresh tarragon, leaves chopped and stems discarded
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- In a deep skillet, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, onion and celery, season with salt and pepper and cook until softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the peas and chicken and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes; set aside.
- Preheat the broiler. In a small, heavy saucepan, bring 1 cup chicken broth and ½ cup cream to a boil.
- Add the polenta and cook, whisking, for 3 minutes.
- Lower the heat, stir in the gruyère until melted and set aside.
- Push the chicken and vegetables off to the side of the skillet. Over medium heat, add the butter to melt, then stir in the flour; cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the remaining 2 cups chicken broth and 1/2 cup cream, stir in the chicken and vegetables and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the tarragon and mustard; season with salt and pepper.
- Place four ovenproof soup bowls on a baking sheet and pour in the chicken mixture. Scoop some polenta on top to cover completely. Broil until the tops are browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
I subbed in thyme for the tarrangon and doubled the veggies to double the servings (there was plenty of cream sauce to go around) Worked like a charm and this is a real keeper!