Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a great recipe for authentic Mexican taqueria style carne asada tacos (beef tacos). These are served on soft corn tortillas.
- 3 lbs flank steaks
For the Marinade
- 1⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
For the Onion Relish
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, juice of
For the Pureed Chile Salsa
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 white onion, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 dried red chile pods
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
For the Taco Garnish
- 1 (32 ounce) package corn tortillas
- 2 cups grated Cotija cheese (optional)
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Lay the flank steak in a large glass baking dish. In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, soy sauce, 4 cloves of garlic, juice of two limes and olive oil. Season with salt, black pepper, white pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, oregano, cumin and paprika. Whisk until well blended, then pour over the steak in the dish. Turn over once to coat both sides. Cover with plastic wrap, and marinate for 1 to 8 hours.
- NOW THE ONION RELISH: In a small bowl, stir together 1 chopped white onion, cilantro and the juice of 1 lime. Set aside to use as a relish for the tacos.
- FOR THE PUREED CHILE SALSA: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Toast chile pods in the skillet for a few minutes, and then remove to a bowl of water to soak for about 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Place the tomatoes, 1 onion, jalapenos and 4 cloves of garlic onto a baking sheet. Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes, until toasted but not burnt. Place the roasted vegetables and soaked chile pods into a blender or food processor, along with salt and pepper. Puree until smooth.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cut the marinated flank steak into cubes or strips. Cook, stirring constantly, until the meat is cooked through and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Warm the tortillas in a skillet for about a minute on each side to make them pliable. Tortillas may also be warmed in a microwave oven. Arrange two or three tortillas on a plate and lay a generous amount of beef over them. Top with a sprinkle of the onion relish and a large spoonful of the pureed salsa. Add as much cheese as you like. Garnish with lime wedges and serve.
Update: We REALLY make this all the time. Every time we make it for company they ask for the recipe. I make it as posted. Seriously - only 13 reviews?! This recipe should be an all time favorite!!! Original review: I can't believe I haven't reviewed this. We make this frequently. I generally marinade this overnight in a ziploc bag. We then grill quickly, let it rest and eat it up with corn tortillas and a variety of toppings. Always incl onions and cilantro! thanks!
Seriously the most flavourful steak marinade I have ever used.
This recipe by far is my favorite Carne Asada taco recipe. I have made it at least a dozen times and it comes out perfect every-time.