Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook2 hrs 30 mins
Slather this sauce on ribs while they get a quick char on the grill. It gives already tasty meat an added boost of flavor. Barbecue sauce can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, pureed with juice
- 3⁄4 cup water, plus more if needed
- 1⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook onion, garlic, salt, and pepper until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in chili powder, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, 3/4 cup water, the sugar, and ketchup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 hours. Add more water as needed to avoid scorching. Let cool slightly.
- Working in batches, puree sauce in a blender. Stir in vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Let cool.