Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a recipe that my grandmother passed down. All times are approximate.
Make and share this Tamale Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole kernel corn (drained)
- 1 (16 ounce) can black olives
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup shredded cheese (4-ounces)
- 2 eggs (slightly beaten)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In skillet cook meat, onion, chopped green pepper, and garlic until the meat is browned and the vegetables are tender.
- Drain off excess fat.
- Stir in tomatoes, corn, olives, chili powder, oregano, and pepper.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn into ungreased 3-quart casserole dish.
- In saucepan heat milk, butter, and salt until butter melts.
- Slowly stir in cornmeal.
- Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until it thickens.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheese and eggs.
- Pour over meat mixture.
- Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 35 minutes or until golden.
- Garnish with pepper rings, if desired.
Very good. Just needed a little more flavor for our tastes. Next time I think I will put some garlic salt in the cornmeal mixture and either some minced jalepenos or thai hot sauce in the meat mixture. Delicious dinner and easy to make. Thanks for sharing.