Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
One of my favorites growing up. A hearty spicy dish that's great on those chilly days.
Make and share this Tamale Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb 97% lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 0.5 (1 1/3 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup black olives
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup polenta
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon light butter
- 1 ounce low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and brown beef and onions. When beef is nearly cooked through, add in the can of chiles and the spices and the taco seasoning. Cook until beef is no longer pink and juices are thickened.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, corn, and olives. Let simmer 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. When at a rolling boil, turn the heat down to medium, and whisk in cormeal and polenta. Stir vigorously and cook until thickened and gelatinous. Take off the heat and stir in fat free cheese and light butter.
- Spray a 9X13" baking dish with nonstick spray, and spread meat mixture into the bottom. Evenly spread the polenta mixture over the top and sprinkle with the lowfat cheese.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes until cheese is melted and the top of the polenta has crisped up.