Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Serves 16 or more(for appetizers) Serves 8-10 (for a main course) My husband and I went to French Polynesia and this was a base dish at many meals. We never had a recipe for this but we paid attention when it was being made. As a result of having this dish my husband learned how to open fresh coconuts with a stick and a rock. Tip: If you do not want to go to all of the trouble of shredding a fresh coconut use the store bought can of coconut milk (make sure you shake well before adding to the tuna). You will only need about 1/2 to 3/4 of a can of coconut milk.
- Place tuna cubes into a large bowl and sprinkle with salt. Take the limes squeeze them over the tuna (make sure no seeds end up in the bowl).
- After add all of the juice from the 8 limes, stir the tuna until it is coated with the juice.
- Allow the tuna/ lime mixture to cook/ cure for about 5 minutes. (The lime juice actually begins to ‘cook’ the tuna).
- After the mixture has ‘cooked’ add the diced tomatoes, red onion and cucumber to the bowl and mix well.
- Take the freshly shredded coconut and place in cheesecloth, squeeze the coconut over the tuna (this is the coconut cream).
- Mix the tuna, vegetable, cream mixture refrigerate until ready to serve.