Poisson Cru (Tahitian Ceviche)
- Ready In:
- 1 lb fresh yellowfin tuna fillet, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3⁄4 cup fresh lime juice (a mix of both would be good, the lemons or limes shouldn't be too sour or bitter) or 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (a mix of both would be good, the lemons or limes shouldn't be too sour or bitter)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 small onion, minced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 cup coconut milk (canned is OK but fresh is best)
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- spring onion (optional)
- parsley (optional)
- Take the tuna chunks and soak in a bowl of seawater or lightly salted fresh water while you chop the tomatoes, onion, cucumber, carrot and bell pepper - (locals swear this makes the fish more tender).
- Remove the tuna from the salt water and place in a large salad bowl. Add the lemon or lime juice and leave the fish to marinate for about five minutes.
- Pour off about 1/2 to 2/3 of the juice (depending on how lemony/limey you like it) then add the vegetables and toss together with the fish.
- Pour the coconut milk over the salad and mix again. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with chopped spring onion or parsley and serve with white rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!