Recipe by McNealman345
I came up with this recipe when my larders were all but bare. By using things I found in the almost empty fridge, sadly barren freezer and woefully depleted cabinets. I think the results were great!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, canned
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, diced
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 cup oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
- 12 corn tortillas (9 whole, 3 cut in half)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, chopper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pan, brown beef then remove and drain.
- Saute onions, peppers, garlic and spices until they soften.
- Return beef and mix well.
- Add tomatoes and juice (squishing each one) and chipoltes and stir.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and simmer for 30 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, fry tortillas until they are just starting to brown (don't fry hard crisp).
- Grease 9 X 13 pan.
- Arrange 3 tortillas (2 whole& 2 half's) on the bottom of the pan.
- Spoon in 1/2 meat mixture then add 3 more tortillas.
- Spread beans over torillas (they spread easier if they are warm).
- Add 3 more tortillas and spoon remaining meat mixture over them and top with 3 more tortillas.
- Combine sour cream, cheese and cilantro and spread over top of casserole.
- Bake at 450 for 30 minutes or until brown and bubbly.
- Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes and then serve.