1 hr 30 mins
I came up with this recipe when my larders were all but bare. By using things I found in the almost empty fridge, sadly barren freezer and woefully depleted cabinets. I think the results were great!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, canned
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, diced
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 cup oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
- 12 corn tortillas (9 whole, 3 cut in half)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, chopper
- 1In a large pan, brown beef then remove and drain.
- 2Saute onions, peppers, garlic and spices until they soften.
- 3Return beef and mix well.
- 4Add tomatoes and juice (squishing each one) and chipoltes and stir.
- 5Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes.
- 6Remove lid and simmer for 30 minutes more.
- 7Meanwhile, fry tortillas until they are just starting to brown (don't fry hard crisp).
- 8Grease 9 X 13 pan.
- 9Arrange 3 tortillas (2 whole& 2 half's) on the bottom of the pan.
- 10Spoon in 1/2 meat mixture then add 3 more tortillas.
- 11Spread beans over torillas (they spread easier if they are warm).
- 12Add 3 more tortillas and spoon remaining meat mixture over them and top with 3 more tortillas.
- 13Combine sour cream, cheese and cilantro and spread over top of casserole.
- 14Bake at 450 for 30 minutes or until brown and bubbly.
- 15Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes and then serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Taco Diablo Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (349 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 618.6
- Calories from Fat 418
- Total Fat 46.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 62.8 mg
- Sodium 281.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 19.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo