Recipe by gailanng
The original recipe is from the blogsite Budget Bytes. See below an alternate method to cook in the oven.
Top Review by Suz-B
Made the slow cooker version but cooked it on high for 4 hours. I also added homemade tortilla chips. Cut up whole wheat tortillas, sprinkled with salt and a bit of chipotle chili powder, and baked 7 minutes at 415 degrees.
Big hit while watching football.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 8 ounces frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups dry rice
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 green onions, diced for garnish
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add all ingredients from the "base" to the slow cooker along with 1/4 cup of water. Stir to combine making sure the chicken is covered with the mixture. Secure the lid of the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Near the end of the cooking time, cook the two cups of rice according to the package directions
- After 8 hours of cooking, carefully remove the lid of the slow cooker. Stir with a fork to shred the chicken (it should be super tender and will shred easily). Build the taco bowls by placing rice on the bottom, then the taco chicken mix, shredded cheese, green onions and fresh cilantro.
- ALTERNATE METHOD:.
- Combine all ingredients from the "base" list to a glass casserole dish, sprayed with cooking spray. Cover chicken breasts in mixture and bake at 425 degrees for 30-40 minute or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Remove chicken to a cutting board when cook time is up and shred with two forks. Return shredded chicken to casserole dish and combine with other cooked ingredients. Serve by spooning cooked rice into a bowl and topping with chicken mixture. Garnish with shredded cheese, green onions and cilantro.