Recipe by Olha
Spicy and hot, this is one Chinese dish that belies the myth that you'll be hungry an hour after eating Chinese food. The meat can be marinated one hour or prepared ahead and left to marinate in the refrigerator, ready for a super-quick supper. Serve with plain rice.
Top Review by mianbao
This is very good. Nicely seasoned and appropriately spicy. I make a similar recipe, myself, but without so much seasoning. Thank you for sharing this recipe for an easy to make and delicious dish.
- 1 lb unscored flank steaks or 1 lb lean boneless blade steak
- 2 teaspoons mild soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sherry wine
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar or 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapenos or 1 tablespoon chili pepper, fresh or canned
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped gingerroot
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pinch five-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Place meat in freezer until partly frozen to make it easy to slice.
- (Time will vary according to efficiency of your freezer but check at 30 minutes.).
- Cut meat across grain into 1/4 inch slices, then cut into 1/4 inch strips.
- Stir together soy sauce, sherry and vinegar; blend in cornstarch until smooth.
- Toss meat strips in mixture, coating well; let stand for 1 hour at room temperature or longer in refrigerator.
- Marinade should be completely absorbed by meat but if any remains, reserve and add to wok with sauce.
- Stir together jalapeno pepper, ginger root, garlic and five spice powder; set aside.
- Stir all ingredients together and set aside.
- In wok or skillet, heat oil.
- Add beef strips and cook over high heat, tossing and stirring to separate, for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle with sugar and cook, tossing and stirring, for 1 minute longer.
- Lift pan from heat; add spice mixture and cook for 1 minute in heat of pan.
- Add sauce and any remaining marinade.
- Return to heat and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes or until sauce is thickened.