Recipe by The Flying Chef
A great tasting simple meal that is fairly quick to make apart from the marinating time. It is very low in fat but full of flavour.
Top Review by Gerry
Great chicken and slaw. We are fond of Szechuan - this marinade is awesome, made for wonderful chicken skewers! Followed recipe exactly with an eight hour marinade - this marinade so good I have more plans for a variety of chicken and meat cuts that will make for some great summer cookouts. Only change next time around ... is to double the recipe! The Sinapore Slaw tasted as good as it looked and so crispy - loved the touch of the Chinese chili sauce and the curry. Thank you for posting - it's already in my favorites.
- 1 kg chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce (I use Blue Dragon brand, you can buy hoisin in most supermarkets or Asian grocery stores.)
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Chinese chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 cups green cabbage, sliced thinly
- 2 cups red cabbage, sliced thinly
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 small red pepper, sliced thinly
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chinese chile sauce with garlic
- 3⁄4 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
Directions See How It's Made
- prep time does not include marinating time.
- For the chicken.
- In a large bowl, storage container or Ziploc bag combine all the marinade ingredients, add chicken and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Thread chicken onto water soaked wooden skewers or metal skewers. Reserve marinade.
- To cook, either grill on BBQ or under the grill about 4-6 inches from heat for 8-10 Min's a side or until chicken is cooked through . Baste several times with reserved marinade.
- For the Singapore slaw.
- Combine lime juice, sugar, soy sauce, chili sauce, curry powder and honey in a jar, shake to combine. Place jar in fridge for several hours or overnight.
- Combine both cabbages, carrots and peppers in a large bowl. Pour dressing over and toss. You may not need to use all the dressing (don't drown it).
- To serve, place slaw on a plate and top with skewers.