Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
A great one dish dinner!
- 1 lb beef tenderloin
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons yellow bean sauce (optional)
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 red chilies, deseeded and sliced
- 8 scallions, trimmed and copped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 piece gingerroot, peeled and cut into matchsticks (about 1 inch)
- 1 carrot, peeled, sliced lengthwise and cut into short lengths
- 2 green bell peppers, deseeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 8 ounces water chestnuts, drained and sliced
- 1 sprig cilantro
- 1 lb cooked noodles or 1 lb steamed rice, with
- freshly ground szechuan peppercorns
- Trim the beef and cut into 1/4 inch strips.
- Place in a Ziploc bag or shallow dish.
- Mix together the hoisin sauce, yellow bean sauce, sherry and brandy together until well blended.
- Pour over beef, turning to evenly coat.
- Cover and marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a wok or large skillet, add the chilies, scallions, garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until softened.
- Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the carrot and bell peppers to the wok and stir-fry for 4 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Transfer to plate and keep warm.
- Drain the beef, reserving the marinade, add to the wok and stir-fry for for 3-5 minutes or until browned.
- Return the chili mixture and vegetable mixture and the marinade to the wok.
- Add the water chestnuts and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve immediately with rice or noodles.
This dish hit the spot last night. I used three chilis and omitted the brandy, otherwise made as is. Great dish. I served with rice noodles. Will make again for sure.
A lovely noodle dish! I used the bean sauce, used shao xing for the sherry and didn't use the brandy. I also left the seeds in the chilli as there was no other spicy ingredient in here. This was very nice and also very mild, quick and easy to make. Thanks for posting!