Recipe by Julie B's Hive
Beef round steak prepared and served in its own gravy. Recipe can be simmered stove-top or baked in the oven. Serve with noodles, cooked red cabbage and/or green beans. Now that's a meal!
Top Review by Crafty Lady 13
A lot of flavors going on in this recipe. I especially liked the sour cream gravy. The meat was tender and juicy and the gravy took it over the top. I think next time I make this I am going to leave out the brown sugar. It was good as written, but I think I would rather not have the hint of sweetness from the brown sugar. I bought a couple packs of round steak because they were on sale. I can't wait to make this again. Made for June, 2010 Aus/NZ Swap.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef round steak
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 2 large carrots, pared, diced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim fat and bone from meat. Cut into serving-size pieces and place on waxed paper. Mix flour, mustard, salt, thyme, and pepper. Sprinkle all of it over meat on both sides.
- Cover with another sheet of waxed paper and pound meat using a mallet until flour is worked into the meat and does not fall off when pieces are picked up.
- Heat butter and oil in a heavy casserole or Dutch oven. Brown meat pieces on both sides. Add tomatoes, onion, celery, carrots and brown sugar.
- Cover and simmer or bake for 1 1/2 hours or until very tender. Stir sour cream into gravy just before serving.
- Eat hearty!