Meatballs in Hungarian Sour Cream Gravy
photo by _Pixie_
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons beef base (bullion)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (7 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 lbs frozen precooked meatballs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a dutch oven, cook onion in olive oil until starting to soften.
- Stir in garlic, cook for 30 seconds.
- Add 3 cups water.
- Stir in soup mix,paprika,soup base and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add frozen meatballs.
- Heat on medium high heat until meatballs are heated through. about 15 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, sour cream and mushrooms.
- Mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup water in a small bowl.
- Slowly stir in cornstarch mixture a little at a time until you reach the desired thickness.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or buttered noodles.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is the exact recipe I've been searching for awhile. I make meatballs in mushroom gravy for x-mas and have tried several different recipes. I think what makes this recipe stand out is the onion soup mix, paprika & worcestershire sauce. I've also tried a variation where I add beef gravy for the water/boullion and mushroom soup or yogurt for the sour cream. Sometimes I will also add dried onions &/or roasted garlic. Amended for cooking in a slow cooker. Great recipe, thanks for sharing.
Thank you for a great recipe. I needed something easy to do with meatballs tonight for dinner, but most recipes call for cream based soups, which I try to avoid. This was full of flavor, although a tad salty with the soup mix and beef base, easy to do and quick. Everything I needed. I didn't make any changes and the only change I would make in the future would be to have more mushrooms. I would also suggest having some bread or rolls handy for the yummy sauce.
see 1 more reviews