Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Swiss Asparagus Casserole is the perfect dish for the spring. Fresh asparagus comes in an abundance, and it tastes so good. This casserole combines Swiss cheese, asparagus, Panko breadcrumbs, to make for a rich casserole. Looking for a dish to bring to a pot luck, this may be the right dish for you.
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat melt 2 tablespoons butter. Saute asparagus for 2-3 minutes until barely tender. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In same skillet, saute onion in 2 tablespoon butter until onion is soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute until flour is well blended.
- Add sour cream and cheese. Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat until cheese melts.
- Spoon asparagus into a buttered shallow baking dish. Top with cheese, onion and sour cream mixture.
- In a small skillet heat the remaining tablespoon of butter, and when it has melted toast the Panko breadcrumbs for about 1 minute.
- Place Panko breadcrumbs evenly over the top of contents of the baking dish.
- Bake at 450°F for 20 minuites. If top is not brown, place under broiler for an additional minute or two.
- Recipe was inspired by The Joy of Sharing, Garber United Methodist Church, New Bern, NC, and Charlotte, NC.