Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Chutney's are very common in Indian meals. This chutney goes very well with Lamb or Pork Korma or Chicken in Coconut Sauce 482473.
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up, with juice
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, grated
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup currants
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- In a saucepan combine undrained tomatoes, onion, garlic, and gingerroot. Stir in sugar, vinegar, salt, paprika, red pepper, and cloves. Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until the mixture is thickened; stir frequently. Stir in the raisins or currants and the almonds; heat through.
- Remove from heat and cool. Pour into a container; cover and label. Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.