Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Saucy meatballs to serve over rice. A family favorite for over 30 years.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs (plain or seasoned)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon citric acid (to taste)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 (20 ounce) canpineapple chunks in pineapple juice, drained
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine first five ingredients. Roll into small meatballs and set aside.
- Mix the next four ingredients together and set aside.
- Layer all the onion slices on the bottom of a large heavy pot. Place the uncooked meatballs on top of the onions and then pour the liquid mixture on top. Place a lid on the pot and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through. Add the pineapple to the meatballs in the last ten minutes of cooking. Stir once or twice during cooking.
- Meanwhile, boil 5 cups lightly salted water. Add the rice after water is boiling. Boil until rice is tender (about 20 minutes); drain.
- Serve the meatballs and pineapple over the rice in individual plates and pour extra sauce on top of each.
We loved the way the recipe worked with cooking the meatballs in the sauce and the sauce is wonderful. It is easy to make. We would make this again but would add more spices to the meatballs, maybe soy sauce and more garlic.
I really liked this recipe! I cheated and used frozen meatballs, and just cooked it for slightly less time. I also added soy, garlic powder, a little ground mustard, beef soup base, and a little cider vinegar to the sauce. But I highly recommend this as a starting point, and it was so good I'm sure it'd be great without my changes as well.