1/1 Photo of Sweet & Sour Meatballs
Saucy meatballs to serve over rice. A family favorite for over 30 years.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs (plain or seasoned)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon citric acid (to taste)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks in pineapple juice, drained
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1In a medium size mixing bowl, combine first five ingredients. Roll into small meatballs and set aside.
- 2Mix the next four ingredients together and set aside.
- 3Layer all the onion slices on the bottom of a large heavy pot. Place the uncooked meatballs on top of the onions and then pour the liquid mixture on top. Place a lid on the pot and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through. Add the pineapple to the meatballs in the last ten minutes of cooking. Stir once or twice during cooking.
- 4Meanwhile, boil 5 cups lightly salted water. Add the rice after water is boiling. Boil until rice is tender (about 20 minutes); drain.
- 5Serve the meatballs and pineapple over the rice in individual plates and pour extra sauce on top of each.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet & Sour Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (387 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 949.8
- Calories from Fat 203
- Total Fat 22.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 182.8 mg
- Sodium 927.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 151.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 77.2 g
- Protein 34.9 g