Recipe by mamatrefs
Saucy meatballs to serve over rice. A family favorite for over 30 years.
Top Review by Lavender Lynn
We loved the way the recipe worked with cooking the meatballs in the sauce and the sauce is wonderful. It is easy to make. We would make this again but would add more spices to the meatballs, maybe soy sauce and more garlic.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs (plain or seasoned)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon citric acid (to taste)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 (20 ounce) canpineapple chunks in pineapple juice, drained
- 1 cup long grain white rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine first five ingredients. Roll into small meatballs and set aside.
- Mix the next four ingredients together and set aside.
- Layer all the onion slices on the bottom of a large heavy pot. Place the uncooked meatballs on top of the onions and then pour the liquid mixture on top. Place a lid on the pot and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through. Add the pineapple to the meatballs in the last ten minutes of cooking. Stir once or twice during cooking.
- Meanwhile, boil 5 cups lightly salted water. Add the rice after water is boiling. Boil until rice is tender (about 20 minutes); drain.
- Serve the meatballs and pineapple over the rice in individual plates and pour extra sauce on top of each.