From Eating Well.Com. I got a wok for Christmas and can't wait to try some healthy stir frys. TIP: Ingredient note: Chicken tenders, virtually fat-free, are a strip of rib meat typically found attached to the underside of the chicken breast, but they can also be purchased separately. Four 1-ounce tenders will yield a 3-ounce cooked portion. Tenders are perfect for quick stir-fries, chicken satay or kid-friendly breaded “chicken fingers.” A serving is equal to 1 1/2 cups stir fry and 1/2 cup brown rice. A serving is about 450 calories.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 lb chicken tenders, cut into bite-size pieces (see Ingredient Note)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 6 cups bite-size pieces vegetables, such as snow peas, broccoli and bell peppers
- 1 (5 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 11. Prepare rice according to the package directions.
- 22. Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch and apricot preserves in a small bowl. Set aside.
- 33. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, undisturbed, for 2 minutes. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink on the outside and just starting to brown in spots, about 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
- 44. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, garlic and ginger to the pan and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 20 to 30 seconds. Add broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add vegetables, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the vegetables are tender-crisp, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in water chestnuts and the chicken. Whisk the reserved sauce and add to the pan. Simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is heated through, about 1 minute. Serve with the rice.
- 5NUTRITION INFORMATION.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet & Sour Chicken With Brown Rice
Serving Size: 1 (289 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 444.0
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 65.8 mg
- Sodium 404.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 32.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
seasoned rice vinegar