Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe is from my Sunset Cookbook. This recipe combines a spinach salad with orange slices; then topped with a sweet potato, golden raisin, pomegranate stir-fry bathed in a coconut,orange-honey dressing. Sounds really interesting and delicious.
- 3 large oranges
- 24 large spinach leaves, rinsed and crisped
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth, fat-free (or vegetable broth)
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves (I might prefer cinnamon)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup coconut, sweetened and shredded
- 1⁄3 cup pomegranate seeds
- Cut off and discard peel and all white membrane from oranges; then cut fruit crosswise into thin slices. Cover and set aside. Arrange spinach leaves on a rimmed platter; cover and set aside. In a bowl, stir together broth, raisins, orange juice, honey, cloves and nutmeg; set aside.
- Heat oil in a wide nonstick frying pan or wok over medium high heat. When oil is hot, add sweet potatoes and 2 tablespoons water; stir-fry until potatoes begin to brown and are just tender-crisp to bite (about 7 minutes). Add some water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if pan appears dry. Add broth mixture to pan; cover and cook until potatoes are just tender to bite (about 5 minutes). Uncover and stir-fry until liquid has evaporated. Remove pan from heat and stir in coconut and 1/4 cup of the pomegranate seeds.
- Arrange orange slices over spinach leaves on platter. Spoon potato mixture over oranges; sprinkle with remaining pomegranate seeds.
Very sweet, difficult to access the orange slices until I ate my way to them -- might be easier to eat if the oranges were in sections instead of cross-cuts and the spinach and orange sections were placed around the edges of individual salad bowls. I made a half recipe, but had to substitute pomegranate-infused dried sweetened cranberries as pomegranate seeds were not available at this time of year. Made for Please Review My Recipe tag game.