Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, stalks and leaves chopped separately
- 1 medium leek, sliced (WHITE AND PALE GREEN PARTS ONLY)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 5 cups sweet potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped celery stalks and leeks and sauté until onion is translucent for about five minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes, chicken stock, cinnamon and nutmeg; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until potatoes are tender for about 20 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon stick and discard.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth.
- Return soup to pot.
- Add half and half and maple syrup and stir over medium-low heat to heat soup through.
- Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- You can garnish the soup with celery leaves.