Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
Another terrific recipe from Wolfgang Puck. This is a very impressive and yummy side dish for the holidays. A great alternative to the "usual" sweet potato dish. Note: Ideally you should use a tart pan with removable sides & bottom.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced into rounds, 1/8-inch thick for even baking
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt 2T butter in a 10" skillet over med-high heat.
- Add apples; cook stirring often until caramelized, about 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile butter the tart pan.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a mixing bowl; season with cinnamon, salt and white pepper.
- Drizzle with 1/4 cup of melted butter and mix to coat potatoes.
- Arrange a layer of sweet potatoes in the tart pan, overlapping in circles, using about half the potatoes in all.
- Arrange apples evenly over the potatoes.
- Top with remaining sweet potatoes.
- Drizzle with remaining 2T melted butter.
- Place the tart pan on a baking sheet to catch any drips. Bake until the potatoes are crispy and tender, about 35 minutes.
- Heat broiler; place potatoes under broiler until edges are crispy and begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Cut into wedges to serve.
- My NOTES:.
- Do not assemble too far ahead of time before baking or the potatoes will turn dark & ugly.
- Very important to slice potatoes thinly.