Recipe by Daydream
This spicy, tasty soup is something a bit different and easy to assemble. The bright orange-fleshed sweet potato is not only attractive to the eye, but tastes beautiful. We loved it when my brother served it and begged the recipe from him. For best results, use Thai-style sweet chili sauce.
Top Review by Jewelies
This was nice, easy to make with ingredients we had on hand. I did add a good splash of lime juice. All the family enjoyed this served with some crusty bread for dipping into their soup.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 ich pieces (the orange-fleshed variety)
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄4 cups crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped peanuts
- 1⁄4 cup chopped chives (or chopped cilantro)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil, and saute onions in a heavy-based stockpot.
- Add garlic and cumin, and stir-fry 30 seconds over medium heat.
- Add chopped sweet potato, cover and cook for 10 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Add chicken stock, bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add peanut butter and chili sauce, and mix into the soup thoroughly.
- Simmer uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- Puree with a hand-held blender, such as a Bamix, until the sweet potato is almost smooth.
- Serve immediately, garnished with chopped peanuts and chives or cilantro.