1/1 Photo of Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup
1 hr 15 mins
This spicy, tasty soup is something a bit different and easy to assemble. The bright orange-fleshed sweet potato is not only attractive to the eye, but tastes beautiful. We loved it when my brother served it and begged the recipe from him. For best results, use Thai-style sweet chili sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 ich pieces (the orange-fleshed variety)
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/4 cups crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- 1/4 cup chopped chives (or chopped cilantro)
- 1Heat oil, and saute onions in a heavy-based stockpot.
- 2Add garlic and cumin, and stir-fry 30 seconds over medium heat.
- 3Add chopped sweet potato, cover and cook for 10 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- 4Add chicken stock, bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 5Add peanut butter and chili sauce, and mix into the soup thoroughly.
- 6Simmer uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- 7Puree with a hand-held blender, such as a Bamix, until the sweet potato is almost smooth.
- 8Serve immediately, garnished with chopped peanuts and chives or cilantro.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup
Serving Size: 1 (442 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 646.2
- Calories from Fat 326
- Total Fat 36.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 9.6 mg
- Sodium 844.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 18.6 g
- Protein 25.7 g