Grand Marnier Carrot Cake
photo by Pak O.
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, undrained
- freshly-squeezed orange juice
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup canola oil (note*) or 1 cup vegetable oil (note*)
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier (or other orange liqueur**)
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened (note*)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Grand Marnier (or other orange liqueur**)
- 1 1⁄4 lbs powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons freshly-squeezed orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt; set aside.
- Pour mandarin oranges with juice into blender or food processor and pulse a couple times just until oranges are roughly chopped; add enough freshly-squeezed orange juice to make 1 1/4 cups chopped mandarin orange-juice blend; set aside.
- In mixing bowl, beat eggs and add sugars; stir in oil, the mandarin orange-juice blend, liqueur, and orange zest; then stir in carrots, coconut, and optional nuts; add dry ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Pour batter into a 9x13" baking pan that has been greased and floured or just coated with no-stick cooking spray; a half-batch may be baked in either an 8x8" or 9x9" baking pan.
- Bake at 350°F for about 40 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of cake comes out clean; a 9x9" cake will be done in 35 to 40 minutes; cool cake completely before frosting.
- For frosting: Beat together butter and cream cheese; stir in liqueur; gradually add powdered sugar, stirring well after each addition and gradually adding the freshly-squeezed orange juice; adjust powdered sugar and orange juice amounts as needed for proper spreading consistency.
- Because of the cream cheese it's best to keep this cake refrigerated after frosting, but for maximum flavor you may want to bring the cake back to room temperature after refrigeration. The frosted cake freezes well.
- *Note: The simple to make recipe halves very easily. Applesauce may be substituted for half of the canola oil and reduced-fat cream cheese may be used.
- **Note: The Recipezaar Kitchen Dictionary provides the following substitution: 2 tbsp unsweetened orange juice concentrate or orange juice + 1/2 tsp orange extract = 2 tbsp Grand Marnier.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I loved this cake - I love baking with liquors and couldn't wait to try it. The orange flavor is an unexpected but nice surprise in a carrot cake. Now it is my new favorite carrot cake recipe! I substituted cake flour and baked it in 9" rounds but changed nothing else. It is definitetly worth 5 stars.
Excellent cake! Very moist with the oranges, carrot & coconut. I made as instructed, including the oil & Grand Marnier, but didn't need the orange juice in the cake as I already had the proper measurement after processing the oranges. We have family in town & this recipe was an awesome way to end a prime rib meal. I did borrow Susie's idea of making it a double layer just because it was for a fancy meal on their last night here. Thanks for sharing a great creation, Deb! Made for a Cookathon in memory of Judy~Jude.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
A happily married wife and mom of two young adults, who enjoys a variety of creative pursuits including a love of cooking and baking. I also enjoy gardening, nature, travel, and skiing. <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/55221/homemadepastaforzaarpage.jpg"> Recipezaar is my favorite cooking website. I can't believe eight years have passed since I first found this wonderful cooking community! Life circumstances have recently kept me away, but I hope to be back soon. I really appreciate those who have kindly reviewed or photographed my recipes ~ <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/Zaar/thankyou.jpg"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/Zaar/aboutmepagefont.jpg"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac2.jpg" hspace="3" vspace="5"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac6.jpg" hspace="3" vspace="5"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac5.jpg" hspace="4" vspace="5"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac1.jpg" hspace="3" vspace="5"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac3.jpg" hspace="4" vspace="5"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac4.jpg" hspace="4" vspace="5"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg" hspace="0" vspace="4"><img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif" hspace="0" vspace="4"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/ZWT2.gif" hspace="1" vspace="5"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/ParticipationBanner.jpg" hspace="1"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/craze-e2banner.jpg" hspace="2"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/Dollar%20Contest/DiningonaDollarParticipant.jpg" vspace="3" hspace="4"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC9-Debs.jpg"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC10-Debs.jpg"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC11-Debs.jpg"><img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC12-DebsRecipes.jpg" vspace="7"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/RSC%20Lucky%2013/ParticipationSticker.jpg" hspace="8" vspace="3"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/sticker.jpg" hspace="8" vspace="4">