Prep 30 mins
Cook 14 mins
Recipe posted by request. This is a fat-free side dish.
- 3 medium apples
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg (Use cinnamon as a substitute)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- Wash and prick sweet potatoes with a fork.
- Microwave on HIGH for 8 minutes.
- Slip the skins.
- Slice into 1/2 inch slices.
- Peel apples.
- Slice crosswise into half inch rings.
- Combine salt, sugar, mutmeg/cinnamon and orange peel in a bowl.
- Alternate slices of sweet potatoes and slices in a deep 1 1/2 quart-casserole dish.
- Sprinkle sugar mixture over each layer.
- Add orange juice.
- Microwave on HIGH for 6 minutes.
I adjusted amounts on this recipe. Used only one sweet potato & apple. Reduced everything else accordingly. Caution here...microwaving times vary by appliance and using only one sweet potato greatly affected time. Start checking early. Also, I did not have orange juice (or oranges), but did have apple cider. I used that & was very happy with the results. I've already shared this recipe with my daughter & will definitely be making it again myself. Thanks for posting.
I made this as directed. Had a fresh orange and used the juice and the zest. I liked the flavors but not the texture so much. I think I would like to try it by mashing the sweet potatoes and putting the sliced apples on top and maybe baking it in the oven. ETA: I tried the above idea tonight and really liked it! I would give it 4 stars at least cooked that way.
I have been eyeing this one for a long time but finally decided to try it and I am so glad. It is really wonderful. A nice mix of flavors with the apple (I used Rome apples), the sweet potatoes, and the orange juice. It cooked quickly and easily and was wonderful hot. I am looking forward to trying it cold tomorrow. I had to leave out the otange zest because I did not have any, but I did not think that it took away from the taste at all!