Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I was having a craving for meatballs over rice and when I went through my usual recipesI was missing one ingredient or another, either pineapple chunks, or green peppers,cranberry sauce, sour cream, jelly, this ingredient or that ingredient...gee I felt like poor old mother hubbarb that day!!!! So I went on the internet in search of a "simpler" recipe...this is what I found and it was very very tasty & easy,and needless to say, great for when you are short on ingredients and due for your next grocery order!!(Actually , even for this recipe,I was out of onions too, which is why I used onion soup mix!!) My hubby even really liked it quite a bit, sometimes less is more! It ended up a keeper that I will make even when I do have a fully stocked kitchen! HA!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 onion, chopped (0r 1 tsp. or so onion soup mix, to your own taste)
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- In large bowl, combine beef, egg, onion, breadcrumbs, salt& pepper (I also added in some garlic powder & parsley).
- Roll into balls 1-1 1/2 inches in size.
- In large skillet saute meatballs over medium heat until browned on all sides.
- In medium bowl, mix together water, vinegar, ketchup, cornstartch,brown sugar& soya sauce.
- Pour over cooked meatballs,allow sauce to thicken, heating just until sauce starts to bubble.
- Serve over white rice.
This was very yummy!! I didn't have any cornstarch so I just used less water, about 1/4 cup.
I had taken out a lb of ground beef and didn't know what to do with it. Recipezaar to the rescue. We are all turkied out. These were so good, I had everything on hand and we served this over rice. Wonderful dinner, Thanks so much for posting Rhonda!
This was much easier and faster than other, similar recipes on the site. Unfortunately, I sent my husband to make this, and he accidentally put the water in with the ground beef. Oops! That made our meatballs mushy and flat. However, this sauce was amazing. It was also filling. Overall, a great meal. Thanks!