Recipe by Kelly M.
Mashed sweet potatoes, slightly spiced, pan fried and served with curried sour cream. These would make a lovely side dish or served as an appetizer. This recipe is an entry for Ready, Set, Cook contest #8.
Top Review by Gingernut
Really tasty. I think the method for cooking the sweet potatoes probably diluted the flavour of the curry paste, and might've been more complex than it needed to be. Maybe if I make these again I will make some changes and let you know. Thanks for posting.
- 4 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into about 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon hot red curry paste (If using a milder paste you may want to add more)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil, for pan frying
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt two teaspoons butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat and add onions.
- Saute about 3 minutes, until softened, then add jalapeno and ginger and saute for another minute.
- Add potatoes, pour in chicken broth, then stir the curry paste through.
- Heat to boiling, cover and reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes well and put in a bowl large enough to mash them inches
- Mash potatoes with remaining 2 teaspoons butter, salt and a few turns of the pepper mill until smooth.
- Using about 1/4 cup of potatoes at a time, form into round slightly flattened patties.
- Chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- While patties are chilling, combine sour cream and curry powder in a small bowl, stirring vigorously until smooth and creamy.
- On a sheet of waxed paper, combine the flour, cornmeal and cayenne, then dredge the patties in flour mixture.
- Heat oil in same skillet (wiped dry with a paper towel) used for potatoes over medium heat.
- Add patties and pan fry until lightly browned on each side, about 2-3 minutes each side.
- Remove from heat, and serve warm with curry sour cream.