1/5 Photos of Sweet Mashed Potato Cakes With Curry Sour Cream
Kelly M.'s Note:
Mashed sweet potatoes, slightly spiced, pan fried and served with curried sour cream. These would make a lovely side dish or served as an appetizer. This recipe is an entry for Ready, Set, Cook contest #8.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into about 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon hot red curry paste (If using a milder paste you may want to add more)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil, for pan frying
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 1Melt two teaspoons butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat and add onions.
- 2Saute about 3 minutes, until softened, then add jalapeno and ginger and saute for another minute.
- 3Add potatoes, pour in chicken broth, then stir the curry paste through.
- 4Heat to boiling, cover and reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- 5Drain potatoes well and put in a bowl large enough to mash them inches
- 6Mash potatoes with remaining 2 teaspoons butter, salt and a few turns of the pepper mill until smooth.
- 7Using about 1/4 cup of potatoes at a time, form into round slightly flattened patties.
- 8Chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- 9While patties are chilling, combine sour cream and curry powder in a small bowl, stirring vigorously until smooth and creamy.
- 10On a sheet of waxed paper, combine the flour, cornmeal and cayenne, then dredge the patties in flour mixture.
- 11Heat oil in same skillet (wiped dry with a paper towel) used for potatoes over medium heat.
- 12Add patties and pan fry until lightly browned on each side, about 2-3 minutes each side.
- 13Remove from heat, and serve warm with curry sour cream.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Mashed Potato Cakes With Curry Sour Cream
Serving Size: 1 (968 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 120.9
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 299.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red curry paste