Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe come from heart healthy.com. This salad or side dish is good and good for you. This makes a large amount, eighteen 1/2 cup servings,easy to cut recipe in half, great for a crowd or potluck. The marinade time is 24 hours. Drain the marinade before serving this dish in order to lower the fat and sodium while keeping all the good taste.
- 1 lb uncooked small shell pasta (about 9 cups cooked)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3⁄4 cup sugar or 3⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- black pepper
- 1 (2 ounce) jarsliced pimiento
- 2 small cucumbers
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 18 leaves lettuce
- Cook pasta in unsalted water, drain, rinse with cold water, drain, and drain again, stir in oil.
- Transfer to 4-quart bowl, in blender, place sugar, vinegars, water, prepared mustard, salt, pepper, and pimento; Process at low speed for 15 to 20 seconds, or just enough so flecks of pimento can be seen; pour over pasta.
- Score cucumber peel with fork tines, cut cucumber in lengthwise, then slice thinly; add to pasta with onion slices, TOSS Well.
- Marinade, covered, in refrigerator for 24 hours; stir occasionally; Drain,and serve on lettuce.
I thought this recipe was great! I made it for the first time the other day and took it to work for a potluck and everyone loved it! I used half sugar and half Splenda and red wine vinegar. I also added cherry tomatoes and black olives but didn't use onions and didn't serve on lettuce leaves just for convience. It still turned out great! I will be making this a lot more! Thanks for the great recipe!
This is right up my alley. I love the mix of vinegar with sugar. It makes a big salad, but I made the whole recipe to snack on, etc all weekend. Its a big hit! Thanks Barb!