Recipe by I'mPat
This recipe is based on one from ninmsn.com.au which the DH and I changed to suit our own tastes. The original included water chestnuts which we omitted and we added chillies to give a bit of bite and we thoroughly enjoyed the result. When we made it I used 580 grams of prawns but they were jumbo prawns - 7 all up and the 2 of us gobbled up the lot, using smaller prawns you could serve 3 to 4 people. I have included peeling the prawns in the preperation time.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Mmmm, very good, Pat!!! So quickly prepared for a delicious dinner, I did all my prep, laid everything out, put on the rice to cook and quickly followed up with the main meal, ready in a jiffy! I used the sherry, didn't have any carrots so sliced up a few mushrooms instead, used a whole small green and a whole small red, pepper (we like the veggies), and instead of actual chillies used a generous tblsp of chilli-garlic paste. This was really good and DH was very disappointed not to have leftovers for his lunch today, I'll be making this again soon!!! Thanks for sharing, Pat, made for PRMR tag game
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Chinese white rice vinegar (or cider vinegar)
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons shaoxing rice wine (or dry sherry or sherry wine)
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (corn starch)
- 2 tablespoons water (to mix with cornflour)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 piece ginger (2 cm finely chopped)
- 1 spring onion (finely sliced, original recipe called for 4)
- 500 g prawns (green or raw peeled and deveined, I removed tails)
- 1 carrot (peeled and julienned)
- 1⁄2 red capsicum (bell pepper)
- 1⁄2 green capsicum (bell pepper)
- 2 chilies (I used small red deseeded and julienned)
- 1 chili (I used small red finely sliced seeds as well)
Directions See How It's Made
- SAUCE - combine all the sauce ingredients in a jug and set aside.
- Heat a wok over a high heat and add oil and when the wok begins to smoke a little add garlic, ginger, chillies and spring onions tossing with a metal spatula for 20 seconds.
- Add prawns, carrot and capsicum and continue to cook for 1 minutes and then pour in the sauce and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes or until slightly thickens and then serve immediately with steamed or fried rice.