Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A great recipe from Paula's Home Cooking, you'll like this! Great for a potluck or a picnic!
Make and share this Sweet and Sour Bean Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (15 ounce) can green beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) cancut yellow wax beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or Northern beans, butter beans, or your choice)
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) jar pimientos, diced
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil (or other salad oil)
- 2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups sugar (or less to taste)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- Place all the beans, green pepper, onion and pimentos into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the oil and celery.
- In a saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and tomato soup.
- Bring to a boil and pour over the vegetables.
- Toss the mixture gently with 2 forks. Do this a couple times as the mixture cools.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.
- The salad will be best if kept refrigerated 24 hours before serving.
- Drain and reserve the liquid before serving; it will keep for several days.
- The reserved liquid can be poured over the leftovers.
- Add more sugar, if you like. Enjoy!