Recipe by foodiewife_12461649
Delicate, buttery, tangy, delicious... are just a few adjectives that describes these Swedish Pancake/crepes from Cook's Country Magazine (October 2010). The secret lies in using instant flour and club soda. Lingonberries are the authentic jam to use for this recipe, and they have become more readily available in supermarkets. I loved this recipe, as they reminded me of the Swedish pancakes that I had at an International House of Pancakes, years ago. You can serve these with plain jam, but I decided to add the jam to whipped butter which gave these extra richness-- with a few extra calories. Once in a while, just live it up!
Top Review by Spencer #2
Wonderful!! This is the only crepes recipe I have ever tried where they taste like real crepes, not just thin pancakes. Don't skip the club soda. I think this helps make them light. Next time, I will make a huge batch and freeze many for later.
- 2 cups instant flour (see note)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 cups club soda
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 jumbo eggs
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- to avoid a lengthy resting period we used instant flour (Wondra)
Directions See How It's Made
- MAKE BATTER Combine flour, sugar, and salt in large bowl. Slowly whisk half-and-half, club soda, 4 tablespoons butter, eggs, and yolks into flour mixture until smooth.
- COOK PANCAKES Brush surface and sides of 10-inch nonstick skillet with 1 teaspoon butter and heat over medium heat. When butter stops sizzling, pour 1/3 cup batter into skillet, tilting pan to evenly coat bottom with batter. Cook until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to plate and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Repeat with remaining butter and remaining batter. Serve.
- NOTE: I combined 3 tablespoons lingonberry jam with 1 stick soften butter and served in on top of the hot pancakes, that I rolled into crepes.
- MAKE AHEAD: Swedish pancakes can be refrigerated for 3 days or frozen for up to 1 month. Layer cooled pancakes between parchment paper, wrap in plastic, and transfer to zipper-lock bag. To serve, microwave stack of 3 pancakes on 50 percent power until heated through, 10 to 20 seconds.