Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A cool and refreshing dessert, salad or appetizer to cut the heat of summer! Especially good if you soak the melon balls in rum first! But this is optional.
- 1 (4 lb) cantaloupe or 1 (4 lb) honeydews, works well
- 1 cup fresh raspberry
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- rum (optional)
- Cut melon in half and scoop out seeds.
- Scoop out melon with melon baller, or you can cut into small bite-sized cubes.
- Place in a serving bowl.
- At this point you have a choice. You can marinate the melon in a little rum for an hour or more, or you can just continue.
- If you marinated them, pour off any extra rum.
- Now, place raspberries in sieve over small bowl, and force berries thru sieve to remove seeds. (You can do this with the back of a spoon or just use your fingers.).
- Add sugar and lemon juice to seived raspberry puree.
- Pour raspberry puree over melon and chill for several hours.
- Serve from bowl, or serve in individual dessert dishes.
- You can even serve this with a little ice cream or whipped cream. But it's just fine on it's own.
This was wonderful and refreshing. I made this and had it in the refrigerator for guests to help themselves to during a busy wedding weekend. Worked fantastic for that! This was yummy and so refreshing in this heat! *Made for Bevy Tag*
Agreed, raspberry and melon flavors seem to go together extremely well. I added vodka, not rum, and substituted splenda for the sugar. Waited patiently for melon to ripen before making the recipe, which was also important. I really like the texture of raspberry (and, by the way, strawberry) seeds so after I sieved the juice I just added the pulp and seeds as well (seemed a shame to waste them too). Thanks!
Oh, I jsut love the raspberry flavor the melon has! I did cheat a little and used raspberry syrup. Love it!