1/1 Photo of Swedish Meatballs (Kottbullar)
André Grisell's Note:
A genuine, and one of the most quoted Swedish recipes for meatballs. With a few variations, it is found in almost every Swedish cookbook. This variety of meatballs is always served hot, with cream sauce and mashed potatoes, in contrary to the small ones served cold that one finds on the Smorgasbord. At Christmas, some Swedes like a little "Christmas touch" and add a little allspice and ginger. If you're really ambitious, you'll buy whole meat and grind it yourself. It makes a great difference!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 ounces ground beef
- 7 ounces ground veal
- 3 1/2 ounces ground pork
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 2 small boiled potatoes, cold and mashed
- white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon epice riche (optional)
- allspice (only at Christmas)
- ginger (only at Christmas)
- 4 -5 tablespoons butter
For the sauce
- 1Fry the onion light yellow in a little butter.
- 2Soak the breadcrumbs in the liquid.
- 3Mix everything well and add spices to taste.
- 4Make 1- to 1 1/2-inch meatballs with the help of two wet spoons.
- 5Put them on a plate coated with a little flour and fry them slowly on all sides in lots of butter (putting the meatballs in the freezer for a while before frying makes them firmer).
- 6Place the meatballs on a hot plate, fry the flour in the remaining fat and pour in the stock and the cream.
- 7Boil for a few minutes.
- 8Add soy, salt and pepper to taste and pour the hot sauce over the meatballs.
- 9Serve hot with mashed potates, pickled cucumber and preserved lingonberry or cranberry.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swedish Meatballs (Kottbullar)
Serving Size: 1 (354 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 715.4
- Calories from Fat 510
- Total Fat 56.6 g
- Saturated Fat 31.1 g
- Cholesterol 271.3 mg
- Sodium 278.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 28.9 g