Limpa bread is a traditional Swedish rye bread which is flavored with molasses, anise, and orange peel. Limpa bread is moist and extremely flavorful with a rich, almost intoxicating odor. This bread is extremely popular in Sweden and in areas with a large Swedish population. This recipe is also easily made into rolls, if you wish. From the Minnesota Scandinavian chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cake yeast
- 2 1/4 cups water, lukewarm
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup dark corn syrup (Karo preferred)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons anise seed
- 1/2 cup molasses (either light or medium)
- 3/4 cup butter
- 8 cups rye flour (more as needed)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 oranges, zest of, grated or 1/4 cup candied orange peel, chopped
- 1Soften yeast in 1/4 cup lukewarm water; add sugar, remaining water and milk.
- 2Add white flour and beat well; set aside to rise until double in bulk.
- 3Mix syrup, seeds and molasses in a saucepan.
- 4Let come to a boil one minute and strain out seeds.
- 5Add butter and let cool.
- 6When lukewarm, add yeast mixture with rye flour and salt.
- 7Add grated orange rind or chopped orange peel and knead well on a floured board.
- 8Cover and let rise until doubled.
- 9Shape into round loaves and place in greased pans; let rise until doubled.
- 10Bake in a 400F oven for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350F and bake for an additional 45 minutes.
- 11Remove from pans to a cooling rack and brush with butter while still hot.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swedish Limpa Bread
Serving Size: 1 (2932 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1825.2
- Calories from Fat 394
- Total Fat 43.8 g
- Saturated Fat 25.2 g
- Cholesterol 108.5 mg
- Sodium 2204.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 335.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 33.0 g
- Sugars 50.8 g
- Protein 33.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of